How do you test a car condenser ?
The best way to test a car condenser is by knowing how it should be operating correctly. You can compare the operation and determine if there are any issues with the condenser. A quick and easy test could be performed without using any special tools.
- Start the engine
- Turn the A/C on
- A/C set to Max Cold and Max blower operation
- Run the A/C for a few minutes to let the system stabilize
- On the engine compartment locate the condenser(It is in front of the car and looks like the radiator)
- Feel the temperature of the condenser coil beginning from the top of the condenser to the bottom of the condenser.
- A good operating condenser should be hot at the top warm on the middle of the condenser coil and cool on the bottom part of the coil surface.
Results of the condenser Test
- Cold spot on the condenser coil surface indicates a problem and must be corrected
- Hot from top to bottom condenser coil indicates a problem and must be corrected
Normal operation of an a/c condenser
- The Hot superheated gas from the compressor enters the top of the condenser at 200 F. The condensing temperature is going to be about 30 F warmer than the outside(ambient) air.
- The outside air temperature is 95 F. The condensing temperature is 95 F + 30 F = 125 F. The refrigerant must be cooled to 125 F (200 F – 125 F) in the first part of the condenser coil. This is call desuperheating. It is the first job of the condenser.
- Partway through the condenser coil the superheat is removed and the refrigerant reaches the actual condensing temperature of 125 F ; liquid begins to form in the coil. Liquid will continue to form at the condensing temperature of 125 F until all the vapor has turned to 100 % liquid. This is called the Latent Heat of Condensation.
- The liquid can now reject sensible heat and subcool to below the 125 F condensing temperature. Any liquid below 125 F condensing temperature is referred to as a subcooled liquid.
- The liquid in the bottom of the condenser draining into the receiver or expansion device depending on the type of system may cool to 110 F. This would give the liquid 15 F(125 F – 110 F) of subcooling.
Impact of debris and damage of the car condenser and temperature differential.
All air-cooled condensers do not have the same exact 30 F relationship with the ambient air. It is good practice to determine and record the temperature relationship between the air and refrigerant at start-up time. Then if the relationship were to change, you would suspect trouble, such as a dirty condenser, system contaminated or an overcharge of refrigerant.
A well-maintained clean condenser will have a close 30 F or even lower temperature relationship with the ambient air, compared with a road debris restricted ac condenser. The efficiency of the condenser will vary according to the condenser design, size and quality of the materials used for its construction. The operation of the a/c condenser depends greatly on the flow speed and volume of air going through its fins to accelerate the heat exchange between the refrigerant and the ambient air.
Do you need assistance checking your car ac condenser ?
Call Auto A/C Repair LLC. Today ! Auto A/C Repair LLC. provides car ac repairs on site service in your area. ASE certified mechanics can service your automotive ac system at your home or office. A/C specialist near you will take care of your air conditioning system.
Rate Us on Google !
Car a/c condenser replacement cost
How much does a car a/c condenser replacement cost will depend on the labor time and the price of the a/c condenser. The easiest to access auto a/c condensers will be on the lower end of the price range.
The price of the car a/c condenser replacement will depend on the condenser design and the manufacturer. Original Equipment Manufacturer a/c condenser will be on the higher end of the price range while Aftermarket condensers will be on the lower end of the price range.
Car A/C condenser price range.
Parts price difference will be mostly determined by the origin of the component. OEM are usually more expensive than aftermarket components. Different a/c condenser technology will impact the price. Newer designs tend to be more expensive than older designs.
A/C Condenser Cost : the price range is between $100 and $600 and will depend on the manufacturer ,make and model of the vehicle as well as the system type. Light and medium duty components are usually cheaper than heavy duty and off-road construction equipment a/c systems.
Car A/C condenser replacement labor estimates
Labor Price: Labor costs are estimated between $190 and $570
Vehicle Make and Model Condenser replacement
2017 Chevy Truck Suburban 5.3L
Remove and Replace labor time
*Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery or Evacuate & Recharge AC System.
2.2 Hours (according to Alldata Repair)
Can I Drive with an A/C condenser problem
Driving with a damaged condenser usually will not affect the vehicle’s engine operation. However, a severed restricted condenser coil may affect the flow of air used to cool down the engine and may cause an engine overheating condition. Leaking condenser will cause a low refrigerant low a/c oil condition and will allow the intrusion of air ,moisture and dirt into the a/c system. This condition will increase the complexity of the repair and the price.
Auto A/C Repair Near me in Miami.
Call Today if you need assistance repairing, replacing or doing maintenance to the a/c condenser in your vehicle. We have a mobile repair shop with ASE certified A/C mechanics near you in Hialeah, Miami Lakes, Hialeah Gardens, Doral and other areas in Miami-Dade County.
ac auto repair shops near me
Auto A/C Repair LLC brings the entire mobile shop right to your home or office. We have ASE certified auto ac repair mechanic near your area in all Miami-Dade County.
Better A/C Auto Condenser Repairs
A/C condensers are in charge of reducing refrigerant temperature so the entire auto AC system chills out. A well maintained or brand new more efficient installed condenser will improve the overall performance of the automotive air conditioning system. By ensuring the most efficient possible operation of the car ac condenser we are extending the life expectancy of the ac compressor and the coldest air flow possible out of the vents in the vehicle.
Mobile AC Repair Shops Outdated Condenser Designs Replacement
The Parallel auto ac flow condenser (PFC) is the most efficient style of condenser for heat transfer because the fins stay in contact with tubes and refrigerant can flow thorough multiple tubes at the same time. This design provides the best possibility for the refrigerant to release heat.
Condenser designs have changed over the years, but there have been 3 primary types.
- Tube and fin Condenser (TFC)
- Serpentine Tube Condenser (STC)
- Parallel Flow Condenser (PFC)
AC Automotive Condenser Repair and Installation Near Me
When servicing an A/C system it is important to know the type of condenser the vehicle has as well as the type it is being replaced with. Less efficient car ac condenser should be replaced with new more efficient designs. The purity of the aluminum and the number of fins per inch should closely be taken into consideration. The heat exchange properties could be improved greatly by taking these factors into consideration. The more efficiently the condenser is operating the less effort must be made by the compressor to operate and cool down the interior of the vehicle. A condenser that lowers the overall temperature and pressure of the vehicle’s ac system is preserving the quality of the compressor oil and proper lubrication.
Auto A/C Shop Repair Mobile Service Near Me
Call Us Today ! Get your car a/c condenser updated and replaced by an a/c certified mechanic near you.